This is my sister's quilt, finally finished...
You may remember my previously-wonderful idea about stitching the night sky into those white areas? With the wonderful glow-in-the-dark thread? That I waited so anxiously for?
Imagine trying to section off the night sky, sort of like this:
And then imagine trying to duplicate a constellation or two:
With thread that looks like Silly String.
I ripped it all out and called my sister. At work. I confessed that I could not come up with a "night sky" theme, like she requested. I cited the ugly thread and the distortion the shapes were causing in that pretty white area of the quilt. I pleaded with her to let me do leaves instead.
She sweetly said "don't worry another minute about it, just do what YOU think is best".
My first line of attack was to store the glow-in-the-dark thread away for a future quilt. Then, I chose Madeira metallic gold thread to do straight lines in the white fabric, and YLI light green silk thread to do leaves. I used a feather stencil to mark the center vein, and then I freehanded my favorite Kim Stotsenberg/Jack-in-the-Beanstalk leaves. I stitched all the leaves on one side of the vein first:
And then went back and stitched the other side, until all four sides of the quilt were completed:
Because the borders were uneven (due to some piecing issues) and had to be closely meandered, I chose to carry the leafy design into the remaining section of the border:
And I brought the pointy shapes into the border, too:
By the end of the day I was completely finished with the entire quilt. The tension was amazing throughout, and I used the same 4.0 needle for the whole thing.
I should listen to my inner voice when it comes to how to quilt for people. I knew this quilt was asking for leaves. And I also could see the fun in putting something very specific on it - for a specific recipient. But after 7 years of doing this wonderful job, I can safely say that I cannot do constellations.