The challenge for me while quilting this absolutely adorable Funky Farm Swap quilt, was making sure I didn't over-quilt it. And within that challenge was the ever-present goal of making sure the quilting enhanced where it should've, and detracted where it should've.
In my mind, I set the quilting density according to the bumblebee sashing. I knew I didn't want to quilt anything in that sashing because it would've pulled in all of the blocks and puckered them in unpredictable ways. Which would've caused me to have to do much heavier quilting in the blocks to compensate. The goal for my customer was to keep this quilt soft and cuddly for the new baby boy it will spend its life with. And in my world that means minimal quilting.
There were several different block makers represented in this quilt, so I had to be sure I didn't alter the intent of their particular blocks. There were several different styles of applique and embroidery, as well as feathers, a fabric yo-yo, and a small pillow. The main theme was homespun and whimsical. And so I set out to quilt it that way.
Those hilarious dancing cows were so cute, so I only outlined them with clear thread. The red sashing that surrounds the cow block is unevenly sized. The 2 vertical sides didn't need any quilting at all (except SID). But the top and bottom did, so using an orange cotton thread I quilted "moo" several times across each one:
All of the SID and all of the outlining were quilted using YLI clear nylon thread on top with YLI Soft Touch white cotton thread in the bobbin. This nylon thread was getting tangled every so often, so I turned the spool upside-down. I never had another tangle after that:
After the SID and outlining were complete, the fun began! I chose exclusively cotton threads for all of the decorative quilting designs used to finish the quilt. It was fun, but here is what that looked like in real life:
Luckily I didn't need to iron anything....
In order to keep organized while I worked through the quilt, I separated out each spool that I actually used to quilt the different blocks, and matched them up with the bobbin I used as well. This had to be done in case I needed to go back and fix something:
Which thankfully I didn't have to do!