Today, on St. Patrick's Day, I tackled the 4 green trapezoid areas.
I knew I wanted to do something leafy. But somewhere in the back of my mind I wanted something with a swirl. I drew and redrew. I chalked and rechalked. Nothing was pleasing me. And then I found a stencil that looked like it had enough of a swirly vein that I could make it work in the trapezoid block:
I chalked a section of the vein that I knew I wanted:
Then, by readjusting the angle of the stencil I made the vein go in the directions I wanted for the edges of the block:
Using a medium green Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread #2840, I stitched the vein:
And, because the top leaves were all going in the same direction, I continued on with them:
The bottom leaves were trickier. They swirled in the center so they changed directions. But in the end, what appeared was a swirly, leafy design that fit the space:
Tomorrow, it's on to the borders!